Report to Action Fraud
Action Fraud is the UK’s national reporting centre for fraud and cyber-crime where you should report fraud if you have spotted a scam or have been scammed, defrauded or experienced cyber-crime. You can visit the website (www.actionfraud.police.uk) or call Action Fraud on 0300 123 20 40.
Report to Humberside Police
If you encounter a person carrying out a doorstep scam and their behaviour is threatening then you can call the emergency services for immediate support. If there is no immediate danger you can contact Humberside Police.
In an Emergency – 999
This is to be used where there is a danger to life, or a crime is in progress.
This number is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. From a mobile phone, please dial 999 or 112.
101 – Non Emergency Number
Telephone 101 – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for non-emergencies:
Or visit the website https://www.humberside.police.uk/
If you are not in the Humberside Police area, you can find your local force at www.police.uk.
Reporting suspicious messages
The message might be from a company you don’t normally receive communications from, or someone you do not know. You may just have a hunch. If you are suspicious, you should report it. By doing so you’ll be helping to protect many more people from being affected.
Text message – Suspicious text messages should be forwarded to 7726. This free-of-charge short code enables your provider to investigate the origin of the text and take action, if found to be malicious.
How to protect yourself and others
- Say ‘No’ to unwanted, uninvited callers. If an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is
- Don’t feel pressured to make a decision, take your time and seek advice
- Be wise to postal scams, no genuine company will ask for money to claim a prize
- Keep your personal details safe, always make sure the person you are talking to is genuine and from a legitimate company
- Be online savvy, criminals can replicate genuine companies, If your unsure, don’t open links or attachments in emails
- Talk to someone you trust if you’re suspicious
- Anyone can be a scam victim. If you spot a scam, always report it